As lash experts in popular treatments such as eyelash extension and lash lift (eyelash perm), let's understand the eyelash growth cycle together to provide the best advice to our clients😉
The Three Phases of the Eyelash Growth Cycle / Lash Cycle
Let's delve into the eyelash growth cycle in detail:
Growth Phase (Anagen)
- Duration: The general growth phase of eyelashes lasts about 30 to 45 days.
- Process: During this stage, eyelashes grow actively from the root, and the hair follicles are busy dividing cells to produce new hairs.
- Characteristic: It's believed that about 40% of eyelashes are in this growth phase at any given time.
Regressive Phase (Catagen)
- Duration: Lasts approximately 2 to 3 weeks.
- Process: In this short transitional period, the growth of eyelashes stops and the hair follicles shrink.
- Characteristic: During this phase, eyelashes are preparing to shed. Excessive treatments around the eyes performed this time can impact the natural eyelash cycle.
Resting Phase (Telogen)
- Duration: Lasts about 3 to 4 months.
- Process: Over this period, eyelashes are in a complete state of rest and eventually fall out naturally.
- Characteristic: At the end of this phase, new eyelashes begin to grow, and the old ones shed, starting the cycle anew.
Factors vary among Individuals
The length of an individual's eyelash growth cycle differs due to genetic factors, age, health status, and nutritional state. Generally, the hair growth cycle shortens with age.
Impact of Hormonal Balance
Hormonal balance significantly affects eyelash growth. For example, changes in hormone levels due to thyroid abnormalities or menopause can shorten the eyelash growth cycle or accelerate eyelash shedding. A healthy diet and proper nutrition are effective in regulating hormonal balance and supporting eyelash health. Understanding the eyelash growth cycle helps us provide better care and advice to our clients.
The Impacts of Treatments on the Eyelash Growth Cycle
As professionals, it's crucial to be informed of the effects these treatments have on the natural growth of the eyelash cycle.
The Impact of Eyelash Extensions
- If applied correctly, eyelash extensions do not hinder the natural eyelash cycle. However, improper application or care can weaken the lashes or cause premature shedding.
- Excessive weight or length of extensions can stress and ultimately damage the natural lashes.
The Impact of Lash Lift
- Lash lift usually doesn't affect the natural growth cycle, but depending on the type and duration of chemicals used, they can cause dryness and lead to damage.
- Frequent lash lifts can make the eyelashes brittle and may increase the risk of breakage.
- Professionals will need to assess the health and length of a client's lashes and choose extensions with appropriate weight and length.
- When performing lash lifts, high-quality chemicals are carefully selected, and thorough aftercare is recommended.
- If necessary, allow the eyelashes to rest and recover according to their natural cycle. This is referred to as "Lash Rehab."
Importance of Aftercare
- Proper aftercare following treatment is crucial to minimize damage to the eyelashes.
- Everyday tips, like gentle face washing without too much direct contact with the eyelashes, are necessary.
- Using eyelash serums for moisturisation post-lash lift is effective.
⬇Read more about the Lash lift in this blog.⬇
Eyelash Serums and Supplements for Improving the Eyelash Growth Cycle
Effectiveness of Eyelash Serums
- Eyelash serums help promote growth, making lashes thicker, longer, and stronger.
- They typically contain biotin, peptides, natural plant extracts, and vitamins. These ingredients support lash nutrition and health.
- Used daily, eyelash serums can offer maximum benefits.
Role of Supplements
- Nutritional supplementation is also beneficial for eyelash health support.
- Nutrients like Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E, and Omega-3 fatty acids support lash growth and strength.
- These supplements aid in protein synthesis in the body, maintaining and improving hair health.
- When combined with a healthy diet, supplements contribute not only to lash health but also to overall well-being.
Choosing quality and safe supplements, and taking them in the right amounts is important. Consulting with a doctor or nutrition expert before use is recommended, especially for clients with existing health conditions or illnesses.
Seasonal Eyelash Shedding
1. Seasonality: This phenomenon is especially noticeable in spring and autumn, marking natural bodily changes at the turn of the seasons.
2. Temporary Shedding: Seasonal eyelash shedding is temporary and is often concentrated in specific seasons lasting from a few weeks to months at a time.
3. Natural Biological Process: Eyelash shedding is part of the natural life cycle of lashes, which may slightly fluctuate with the seasons.
4. Individual Differences: The extent of seasonal lash shedding varies from person to person. While some may experience noticeable shedding, others may not be affected much.
5. Influencing Factors: Changes in temperature, humidity, and daylight hours, among other environmental shifts with the seasons, can impact the growth cycle of eyelashes.
6. Importance of Care: During periods of seasonal lash shedding, paying special attention to eyelash care is crucial. Using nutritious eyelash serums and gentle care to avoid stressing the lashes is essential.
Thank you for reading this far into "Understanding the Eyelash Growth Cycle".
We hope this blog deepens your understanding of eyelash health and care, aiding in providing correct advice, treatments, and product choices to our clients.
If you would like to see more of our Lash and Brow works,
Book an appointment for your Lash Lift / Tint at one of our salons
Are you interested in our special Lash Lift products?